bulb blooming schedule

trailer_gal(z4 ND)March 18, 2009

Hello

Hope someone can give me some advice on which bulbs to purchase. We would like to use spring flowers as centerpieces for a ladies retreat on April 17-18. Are any of the bulbs now for sale at the stores able to bloom at that time? Most all of them would need to have a season of winter first? Can a person buy bulbs that have already been made ready by a forcing technique to plant. Would tulips or daffodils be ready at that time? Any other flower suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

One more thought. Could I just go outside and dig up some of the daffodil and tulip bulbs I planted last fall. They are still buried under snow. Maybe by April 17 they will be too far along outside and I should put them in the refrigerator to slow them down. Or maybe I should dig them and keep them warmer and then they would be ready at the right time. Does anyone know how long it would take after I brought them in the house for them to start blooming? In North Dakota we are in zone 3/4
Sherry

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 4:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I'm in US Zone 4 (southern Ontario) and our narcissus/daffodils bloom in April. I have lots of different kinds so they bloom over a long period unless we get a really hot spell. Couldn't you just pick some of your own flowers and use them for centerpieces. Tulips mostly bloom in May here, but again there are early, mid-season and late ones. If you are using them as cutflowers, don't put the narcissus and tulips in the same water. Something from the narcissus poisons the water for the tulips.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Garden Basics Starter Seeds - Set of 13
$29.99 | zulily
Design Outdoor Lanterns. Traditional Wall-Mount 14.25 in. Outdoor Faux Stone Lan
$24.95 | Home Depot
Randolph Polished Nickel Large Pendant
$748.00 | Bellacor
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Turbo Swirl 30 in. Antique Brass Ceiling Fan 7824865
Home Depot
Access Nyz Collection Two Light Bronze Outdoor Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Mythical Griffin Lamp
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Somerset Oil Rubbed Bronze Pendant Light
$48.17 | Bellacor
Lite Source Quatro II Mini Table Lamp - LS-2998/2PK