Juniper Dead Dying or what

kevip711(8a)July 2, 2006

I am on my second Juniper.. First one I kept inside and it died. Next one, twice the size and I kept outdoors. It looks green but all the leaves and branches are brittle and breaking off.. It gets plenty of water and sun so not sure what else to do with it. It sits next to a Elm and Pony Tail and those are doing fine.. Anything special I need to do for the Juniper or any test I can give it to tell if its a doomed...

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Is it geting too much water?

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 4:41AM
lucy(6)

Hi Kevin, long time no see... Just wondering, I know you said you put the second juniper outside, but from the looks of it, either it's a third tree, or it is inside. I know you have a really special garden/pond, etc., and wonder why all your trees aren't out there now anyhow. Again, with juns, it may be a watering issue, hard and breaking aren't good signs. What's the soil mix like? How fast does it really drain - almost instantly, or kinda-in-a-while? Are you watering .. because you think it 'must be time' (that's hard to get over :-) or because you're pretty sure it actually needs a drink? Nice pots, BTW!

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 4:47AM
rjj1(Norman OK Zone7)

Kevin

If the needles are brittle and break or crumble when touched, that part of the plant is dead. If the whole plant is doing that, it's dead.

randy

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 7:50AM
kevip711(8a)

Not the whole plant is brittle but its getting close.. The water doesnt drain right away it holds in the pot for a while.. I dont think I am watering to much.. outside temps are in the upper 90's in the afternoon. It gets direct sun from morning till about 2pm everyday so it dries up pretty fast.. Not sure what to do.. maybe give up and get a different breed of bonsai.. the Elm is the one that almost died before Lucy..

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 12:23PM
lucy(6)

Is the pot protected by something reflective so roots are cooking? If the water's not running right through it, it definitely needs a repot into something else, with lots of gravelly grit - pumice, lava rock crushed, perlite (unattractive as it may be for now), and some small sized fir bark.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 2:51PM
kevip711(8a)

It was potted by the bonsai place.. the roots are probably cooking as the other pots are kinda reflective, this pot is terra cotta.. or I just cant grow Junipers.. also that Sago I thought I killed.. its still alive too. I planted it behind my waterfall in my yard and it sprouted new fronds not long ago.. so looks like the only thing I seem to kill are junipers.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 6:20PM
kevip711(8a)

Significant browning today, he's dead.. not sure what I could of done different.. done with Junipers, will get something else..

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 11:55PM
lucy(6)

Sorry Kev! I'm like that with some things too, stupid ordinary house plants, so I just stop bothering with them and move on. You're good with lots of others though, so don't take it personally :0)!

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 4:41AM
kevip711(8a)

I got a F Tea as a replacement... if you want to see him he is on my site, I also put a reed backing on the house to maybe it wont cook that much there.. having photo'd that yet..

Here is a link that might be useful: Newest bonsai

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 11:54PM
lucy(6)

Cute! Keep it well watered there!

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 5:55AM
liz_44

i have a juniper bonsai, too. I'm a new owner. it has dry brittle light green/yellow bristles. i recently moved it from a south facing room to an east facing room- slightly away from the window. i think it was fried by the sun. should i remove and cut away the dead parts to allow the live parts to be nourished better?
thanks!

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 1:38PM
lucy(6)

Liz, unless most of your tree is a good green color and flexible when you bend it, or to put it another way - if more of the tree is brittle and yellow than less of it, it's probably been dead for some time, as junipers don't actually look dead (all over) until they've been gone a while. It should have been put outside as they won't live indoors anyway, and has probably been watered like a houseplant - way too often. If pebbles were glued to the surface they should have been pried off right away, and the soil it came in should have been changed to much gritty peat-less stuff that drains right away as the trees are sensitive to any water that isn't just a free flowing drink that drains right away (and the pot should never sit in drain water as roots rot). If this all sounds familiar (or any of it), the answer should be in there somewhere.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Need ID help
I just picked this up in the bonsai section of the...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
help my bonsai is dying!!!!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I am a begginer...
dayscraze
For my first? Good choice or bad?
Seiju Dwarf. Elm. $ 70 three gallon pot.Nice fat trunk....
plantermunn
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Soil mixture questions.
Hi so I have a couple questions. First is that I'm...
deepbonsai
Sponsored Products
Juniper Wall Sconce by LBL Lighting
$292.00 | Lumens
Each 108"L Juniper Curtain
$155.00 | Horchow
LBL Lighting | Juniper Line Voltage Pendant Light
$436.00 | YLighting
Emile Henry 9 in. Pie Dish - Juniper - 976131
$40.00 | Hayneedle
Juniper Shower Curtain and Hook Set
Overstock.com