Has anyone had a problem with Easytogrowbulbs.com ?

linnea56(z5 IL)March 14, 2011

Like items being sold not being as described?

I bought a lot of fancy tuberous begonias from them last year. I really wanted some fancy picotee varieties. They were nothing like the picture, though. White and pink-edged like the photo on their site, but they all had non ruffled, odd long skinny petals. Borderline ugly, really.

I ordered roseform ones too, those were okay. But the whole purpose of the order was to get the picotee type.

I ordered about 20 bulbs, and none of the picotee types were as pictured.

Cross post to Begonias (though most there deal with non-tuberous types).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

I've received several orders from Easytogrowbulbs.com and I've been pleased with the quality of the bulbs. They also seem careful not to ship tender bulbs when they might freeze in transit. I haven't ordered any begonias.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 10:07PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have ordered several times and have been pleased with the bulbs and the service. Have never ordered tuberous begonias from them. Did you contact them? Al

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:52AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Yes, I'm in the process of that now. I sent an email and pictures of one yesterday. Because they were weird looking flowers, I didn't really take many pictures, compared to what I normally take.

I saw they are highly rated on Garden Watchdog. I figured they didn't know they had a batch of odd ones. I'll post an update afterward. I looked up some of the varieties online yesterday, and saw several vendors selling the exact same types, with the same photos. So I don�t know who the breeder is.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 9:07AM
greyandamy

I didn't think I had a problem... until just this week. Last autumn I ordered Calla Lilies they claimed were hardy to zone 6. I learned that's not true, it's zone 8. Also, I ordered a type of narcissus that is certainly NOT what's growing out there. I ordered replete (16", white, late spring bloom)... what's growing is SOME TYPE of dwarf daffodil, 5" high, with large yellow buds already..

Glad you asked this...

Amy

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 10:34AM
Nancy zone 6

Amy, calla lilies are supposed to be zone 8, & they were wrong in saying zone 6. Still, I'm zone 6 & callas return for me every year & bloom. They do need very well drained soil I think, to return well here. Maybe yours will come back. Sounds like your daffs are definitely wrong, although I believe Repletes are pink.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 6:48PM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

I've got Callas that return for me each year. The white ones do seem to be the hardier varieties. (I like Flowers and Greens, do be warned, their Alstroemerias are too tempting to pass up.

~Chills

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 2:47PM
jlouise77(z5)

When a seller works with dozens of growers from all over the world there are bound to be a few bulbs that get mislabeled or sneak into a batch of the wrong color. And there's no way for a seller be able to tell that something's amiss.

As for hardiness zone info, this often comes from the grower. (I used to be in the plant business.) So, sellers trust the growers to know best what the specifics are for the plants they're providing. If the grower says a particular variety exhitis extra hardiness, the seller believes them. After all, the grower has field experience with the plants they sell.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 12:35PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

That's why I wanted to know if this was a regular problem. For the picotee begonias, each one of a pack of three was wrong. I do realize that they all look alike in the bulb/corm stage :) .

I have been in touch with them, and they offered to replace those, with me paying the shipping. I'll do it, and see what happens. I did shoot a few pictures of the oddballs and sent it to them.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
tulips not growing properly
i planted many many tulips for a client in a raised...
bernadettehinds
Sponsored Products
Laura Ashley Marlee 10.5 in. Pink Barrel Shade SKM710
$34.20 | Home Depot
Dimond D1712 Dale Table Lamp - D1712
$150.00 | Hayneedle
Weston 24-inch Pub Stool
Overstock.com
Red Vanilla Marble White Rectangular Platter
Overstock.com
Dale Tiffany Lamps 25 in. Floral Art Glass Table Lamp with Dragongly Base
Home Depot