What to do with forgotten spring bulbs

Epicci7aMarch 7, 2014

So I am not the world's most organized person. I just realized I had left in my garage a bunch of bulbs I had meant to plant in fall - alliums, daffodils, tulips, and Dutch iris. A couple are sprouted a little bit. My garage was probably (well) below 50 degrees F for the last few months. They mostly look fine - not shriveled, not moldy.

I'm moving late this summer, so I'm not all that interested in planting for next year. Is there any chance any of them will bloom this year if I stick them in the ground now? If it is very unlikely they will bloom, I'd rather just put something else in their place. Anybody have some thoughts or experiences?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara82lee(8a - SE Va)

I'd be doubtful that most of them would bloom. I've planted daffodils and tulips as late as end of January that still came up and bloomed that year, but I haven't tried planting them at the same time that they're supposed to be flowering, which is probably in another week or two for you.

You might have a little glimmer of hope for the allium and Dutch iris, but I'd still guess they won't bloom.

Do you have a friend who'd be grateful for them and can wait til next year for bloom if they need to? Maybe even a neighbor, so that on the slim chance they do bloom, you can still see them?

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™