Dividing Daffodils

Tracy BrantMarch 27, 2011

I am renovating my mother's overgrown gardens. There are a number of large dense clumps of daffodils that do not appear to be producing flower stalks when the others have done so. I am thinking they have become too tightly packed to bloom.

When is the best time to divide them and spread them out? Do I have to wait for them to die back? I am afraid I will forget which ones did not bloom, as other perennials come up and hide them.

I also need to move bulbs that are in places that are about to become brick and stone pathways. When can I start moving them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

When is the best time to divide them and spread them out? Do I have to wait for them to die back? I am afraid I will forget which ones did not bloom, as other perennials come up and hide them.
Under the circumstances I would go ahead and divide them now, even though it is not the most ideal time. Something else you could consider though, is marking the clumps by surrounding the foliage at the ground level with surveyor's or flagging tape. You could even write some notes on the tape such as bloom description or anything that might help when you divide them.

Ideally one should wait until about 6 weeks after the bloom period has ended and then either dig and plant back immediately, or else dry and store the bulbs for planting in the fall once the soil temperatures have dropped to about 55 degrees or so.

I also need to move bulbs that are in places that are about to become brick and stone pathways. When can I start moving them?
I'd say under the circumstances, just start moving them now while they are still green.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Flagging tape

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Sponsored Products
Schonbek Refrax 15-Light Island Light
LuxeDecor
Plaza I Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Bali Sliding Panels: Cabo, Haven, Trinidad & Antigua
Blindsgalore
Westinghouse Lighting Kits 5-1/8 in. Handblown Clear and Frosted with Gold Band
$6.97 | Home Depot
Inhabit | 1956 Fabric Panel
YLiving.com