Identification - Possibly a Lily

sweetlydarkMarch 17, 2009

Hoping some one can help me ID this plant. I am assuming it's a type of lily but I can't seem to find a good match. It's starting to bloom again but I never found a name for it.

Here are the picture from the first bloom (quite a bit back):

While I'm here I'll also through these up too and see if anyone has an idea of a name.

My mother acquired this from my grandmothers house and I noticed it was starting to bloom in the most curious way.

I just can't find the name which is driving me crazy since I thought finding the name to a plant with purple leaves (under side of leaf) would be a lot more easier.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

The first one has the look of a Hippeastrum and the second looks similar to a Rhoeo bermudensis(aka 'Moses in a cradle').

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 7:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetlydark

I found the second one just before I checked here but you're right anyhow, except its a different variety. I found it as Tradescantia spathacea (it says its Moses-in-a-Basket). The one you refer to is a dwarf variety that is quite pretty with its white strips.

As for the first one I did some looking and your right again I found Hippeastrum puniceum aka barbados lily (mmmh thats pretty close by) which looks exactly like mine.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™