Bulbs aren't blooming

mouse007March 14, 2009

I'm hoping someone may offer some advice. Last October I planted lots of tulip & daffodil bulbs in my backyard & in front of my house. I live in central NJ & have great soil for planting. It is now mid March & see no signs what-so-ever of my bulbs blooming. All my neighbors' tulips & daffodils are sprouting. I'm not sure if this is normal since it will be their first season. Could a squirrel or deer have dug them up? I noticed at Lowe's they are beginning to sell small already bloomed tulip & daffodil plants. Do you think I should try planting these since mine aren't coming up??

Please help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

First year bulbs I have noticed are always later than those from the year before. It does not seem to matter if the bulbs were left in the ground or dug and stored, they will still be from two weeks to a month ahead of first year bulbs. Al

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 9:03AM
jodik_gw

It's only March. It's still early... especially for Tulips and Daffodils their first year. I just saw the beginnings of my crocus making their appearance... and this was only yesterday. My Tulip and Daffodil leaf tips are just beginning to peek up out of the garden soil... these are second year bulbs.

Have patience! Mother Nature works on her own time schedule!

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 9:21AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

The only bulbs blooming here are my winter aconites and snowdrops, and those are just starting. My daffs are showing green tips but nothing more. No tulips yet. Not even any crocus.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 9:56PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

I live in central NJ too, and most of the tulips, daffs and crocus I planted last fall are not showing yet. It is way too early to worry. Next year they will be more established and sprout earlier, like your neighbors'.

Shade and cold soil temps can also delay sprouting, but they all come up eventually. Patience!

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™