How do you tell when a Juniper NEEDS watered?

spaceman13(6b)July 21, 2014

After having great success over the last 3 years (THANKS AL!!!) with my container annuals and three Japanese Maples in 1&2 gallon pots of gritty mix, I decided to dive into the deep end and do my first bonsai, a Juniper Chinensis 'Parsonii' I got for $6 at the Home Despot.

I put it in a round 8"ish x 2.5"ish pot of gritty mix. It's far from pretty, but it's raison d'etre is to see if I can keep it alive. If so, I'll deal with "UGLY" later.

Before undertaking this task I read Herb Gustafsons "The Bonsai Workshop", lurked on this site and re-read Al's "Container Soils - Water Retention and Soil Movement", then re-read the Bonsai Workshop book.
In the watering section of Gustafsons he stated to water only when needed.

How does one TELL when a juniper NEEDS watering? Its easy with my annual plants, and even my JM's to some extent, they start to look a little wilted, from that I can figure how long I can go between waterings in any conditions. I'm assuming junipers don't wilt. Do you just go by the soil "dipstick" method?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moochinka

You keep it in the right fast draining mix outdoors and let nature decide. If you get a particularly heavy deluge, protect it somehow either under an overhang temporarily or indoors.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
Field growing question
I am planting a few trees this year (for the first...
RGodman
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
Goji berry bonsai
I recently purchased a goji berry and was wondering...
Joshua Hughes
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™