epsom salt on bonsai

mganga_mulapali(MD)July 17, 2006

For years, I have used a tsp or tbs (depending on size of tree in pot) of epsom salt each spring and fall on all junipers and pines. The trees have good green color. Recently had a debate with someone about the value of this. I found nothing on the internet about the use of epsom salt. Any comments or directions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

It's really well known to be a good thing for them, and a fair number of people do it, so if it works for you, spread the word :-).

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 3:29PM
tsmith2579(7B)

I'm lurking on the Bonsai forum. I potted a maple last summer and it is growing very well. I'm just looking for some tips. We used to show and judge seasonal flowers. The flower was 80 points and the leaves and stems were worth 20 points. The gorwers knew to add Epsom salts about 3-4 weeks before the shows to "green-up" the leaves and stems. It wasn't a secret, it was a well acknowledged fact. Epsom salts also promotes bud formation.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 10:04PM
bonsai_audge

From good ol' Wikipedia, for some quick info:

Agricultural use

In agriculture and gardening, magnesium sulfate is used to correct magnesium deficiency in soil (magnesium is an essential element in the chlorophyll molecule). It is most commonly applied to potted plants, or to magnesium-hungry crops, such as potatoes, roses, and tomatoes. The advantage of magnesium sulfate over other magnesium soil amendments (such as dolomitic lime) is its high solubility.

-Audric

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 8:43PM
gw:soapymomma-6b

use htis all the time with my tomatoes, works good, just dont go over 1 T as it can burn them out quickly, effectively shortening thier life

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
Eastern White Pine
hi, I have a small eastern white pine intended for...
bigbiglew
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
root pruning saws
Hi everybody, can anybody show me a picture & give...
halocline
New Chinese elm
Hi, I received a nice chinese elm bonsai as a gift....
doomahx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™