Daffodil leaves look browned!

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)March 27, 2010

A lot of my daffs are starting to show up, at least their leaves have. But, the ends of the leaves look all brown! Maybe frost burn? I should say that only the mini daffs are doing this. I have planted Baby Moons, Rip Van Winkles, Baby Boomers, and Minnows. The larger daffs are not doing it. I'm not sure what is causing that. They bloomed lovely last year without a problem. I don't get it.

Any ideas? I'll post a pic later when I can get outside. (I worked all day and I am bushed lol)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Year, frost burn.
Some of mine are like that too, but the buds are fine.
Miniatures other than tete-a-tete didn't live long in my garden. I might have over-watered them.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 8:30AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

They certainly do not like over watering especially in summer.

I love Rip Van Winkle but it rains so much in spring here the double flowers trap the rain and sink to the ground. They look so sad. :(

Baby Moon is adorable and smells great too if I remember correctly.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 2:47PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

It's been an interesting year for daffodils. Like none I have ever known. My Grand Primo Tazettas bloomed the last week after Christmas last year. This year, they came up on schedule and the leaves burned silvery white in our early cold snap. I was fearful I had lost them. But they are in full bloom RIGHT NOW. Grand Soleil D'Or, also a tazetta, appears to have a virus. For the last two years, the leaves have been mottled brown right from their appearance and almost none have bloomed. I am going to dig them up and discard. On the other hand, although many of my daffodils were late in blooming, they have been the loveliest I ever remember. Maybe they liked the cold?

I wondered if your smaller ones were only marginally hardy for your zone. But I checked and they are not. You haven't, by any chance, had a zone 4 winter this year? I'd advise you to wait and see what they do, both this year and next year before making a final decision.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 5:54PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

I sure felt like we had a zone 4 winter! lol
They are on the north side of the house, which could make a difference too. But, my trumpet daffs do great over on the north side. I'll wait and see what happens. I just planted them last fall, so I don't want to dig up yet.
Thanks all for your help! :)

Here's a pic of my Baby Boomers from last spring. They are awesome and FRAGRANT too!

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
daves10z7annv
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
Sponsored Products
Geometric Flat-Weave Rug in Daffodil
$74.99 | Dot & Bo
Daffodil Bold Stripe Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Adalene Vase
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Butler Metalworks Accent Table 2396025
Beyond Stores
Daffodil Bold Stripe Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus