New wisteria! Need advice

3dmeJuly 15, 2013

Hi all,

I'm new to wisteria and bonsai in general. I bit the bullet today and purchased a Wisteria Macrostachya "Blue Moon", attached is a picture of my pre-bonsai specimen!

I live in zone 8, what should I do (if anything) to prune this guy back? I want to thicken up the trunk but I fear putting it in the ground. Could I repot it into a large pot? Would this encourage trunk growth?

It's interesting, on the end of the longest growth, it almost looked like the plant had flowered recently although I can't be sure as I don't know what that would look like. There are a bunch of protrusions that looked like there should have been flowers there. Who knows, maybe it hasn't flowered and it will soon? I can provide a picture soon!

Also, if anyone has any general advice on wisteria bonsai, I would greatly appreciate any advice given.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
3dme

Here is the tip that I'm curious of whether it has flowered or will flower soon!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 4:36PM
3dme

Bump

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 12:54PM
3dme

Bump? Anyone able to help me out?

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 12:26AM
hatfest(8)

Yes the picture you posted is that of a spent flower stalk - Plant in a large container that will give the roots plenty of room to extend for several years and place the container in partial shade. This allows the trunk and branches of the wisteria to get thick. When the wisteria is older and thickened move to a traditional bonsai pot
Usually you can be quite severe with pruning with most varieties - not sure about the one you have though

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Eastern White Pine
hi, I have a small eastern white pine intended for...
bigbiglew
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
my bonsai lossing its green leaves !
Hello dears , I've brought a very lovely bonsai tree...
sara03
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™