Poppy Anemone

hosemanMarch 30, 2009

I purchased a potted Poppy Anemone at the garden shop yesterday. It was in bloom. I thought it was a little early for poppies to be blooming in the warmer part of zone 7. The lady indicated, well, yes it is early, but...

So, I guess it was green house grown.

I am wondering if I plant it outside and we get frost, will it be killed? I have it on the porch, so any frost we may get would not kill it. I doubt if we will have anymore hard freezes, but the frost free date is around May 1st.

When the danger of frost is over and I plant it outside, will it come back next year? OR Did I buy a green house forced plant and about the best I can get out of it is to enjoy it now on the porch and then discard it after it stops blooming? How long should it bloom>?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Anemone coronaria can be very iffy in our zone. There is conflicting info on its hardiness. Some say it is hardy only down to 28 degrees. Some say it's hardy in zone 7. Perhaps winter wet has something to do with it too. I don't know. I do know that when I have planted these bulbs in the past in my zone 7B garden, I got probably only about 25% return the second year. You have nothing to lose to try, but I would wait until May 1 to plant it out.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 9:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthianovak

Mine are happy in frost and freeze, temps this year got down to low 20s. They are carefree for me in 7b. In fact it will get too warm in a month or 6 weeks

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Sponsored Products
Springfields table runner
Origin Crafts
Red Vanilla 'Summer Sun' Mugs (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Poppy Red Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Dimensional Poppy Artwork
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Poppy Sage 8' Round
Home Depot
Hive | Poppy Small Pendant Light
$900.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™