Oxalis 'Regnelli' tubers - -

carrie630(z7bNC)March 16, 2009

They are like little sticks - do I just put them into the ground vertically and make sure they are in part shade? There are no directions on the package.

I carefully looked at the tuber and there seems to be a tiny little fleck at one tip - probably where the plant will grow - and the other end is a bit chunkier...

Thanks for any help - I always thought they would be best in morning sun/afternoon shade - because it gets so hot here in NC in the summer - thanks

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I think I'd plant them on their side and not too deeply. They 'know' which side is down...;-).

I'd use a fairly shallow pan*, too, with spreading room allowed. By the time the season has ended there is likely to be a serious increase in the number of bulbs. I've yet to meet an Oxalis, benign or otherwise, that doesn't like to multiply.

* an azalea dish could be suitable. About 4+" deep.

If your summer/hot weather comes in abruptly then your idea of morning sun and afternoon shade sounds practical, particularly for a mainly foliage plant.

They seem to like being reliably damp while growing, but dry out a little between waterings. Never bone dry all through. Still residual moisture further down in the pot.

It might not be so for you: however, take care when repotting to keep the spent mix out of the garden and compost heap. However shy and tender they might say they are - Oxalis can often find a way to settle in the garden. Just one little spawn bulb and they're away. :-(

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 8:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie630(z7bNC)

Thanks for the response... I bought one last year and it did come back but never seemed to multiply - which is what i did want it to do to fill in a shady area. Good tip on the bulb planting - plant on the side, never thought of that.

I wonder why everytime I came to the Bulb forum, it showed no one responded, yet when i clicked my original post, I found your post. Weird - that's happened before on the Soil, Compost forum but never on my Wintersowing forum...

Carrie

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™