container design

jimnburlJanuary 20, 2013

Good evening. I hope someone can answer my questions, as there seems to be something I don't understand about DIY self-watering buckets.
The reason I want buckets is simple. They allow me to grow plants of markedly different requirements as to pH, fertility and drainage right next to each other. So I'm very, very interested in the self-watering bucket idea. What I can't understand is this idea of cutting a hole in one bucket (or liner) to insert a net pot or cup with slits, then allowing a half-inch air gap above the water level to air-prune the roots. And the reason I can't understand it is this: plants grow in the ground. There is no air-pruning in the ground. It seems that roots will enter the net cup anyway, and spread sideways into the water reservoir. So why the air gap? Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I don't grow in self watering containers, but I have read about them and found the idea intriguing. One version that's popular on gardenweb is Raybo's Earthtainer, which I've linked to below. In that set up you use landscape fabric to prevent the roots from escaping the upper chamber. The net pot is filled with mix that touches the upper chamber and acts as a wick, but the fabric doesn't let the roots get through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raybo's Earthtainer

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™