already looking at next year!

katob Z6ish, NE PaMarch 26, 2011

There's next to nothing out and growing around here.... in fact the recent snow covered any of the sprouts and blooms that were braving the cold... but yesterday in the mail I found this fall's Brent and Becky catalog. Shame on them for sending out their catalog while I am weakest. I almost ordered a couple snowdrops and aconites....

One thing that I will order this fall is the english bluebells. The picture looks authentic and I hope they will be the real thing and not a spanish bluebell mix.

I really liked seeing all the possibilities for next year while I am waiting for this year to get started.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I guess it was just me. I clearly have an addiction.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 9:41PM
tepelus(6a SW MI)

Ya, I got their catalog too, and every year I tell myself I need to plant more spring bulbs, and every year I either don't have enough money because I spent too much on other plants, ran out of gardening steam, or something major comes up, like last year with having a garage torn down and rebuilt. Hopefully this year I can keep my plant buying to a minimum to save for buying bulbs. I really, really want more spring bulbs in the yard. I want to sprinkle some of the extra early blooming types in the yard itself because I think it looks so pretty when the yard has lots of color before the grass begins growing. I also want more daffodils and hyacinths. I love the smell of hyacinths, and daffodils are so cheerful. I think I may get some of the smaller perennial tulips, though I love the big ones, they are too much like annuals and I don't feel like dealing with them.

Karen

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:35AM
Nancy zone 6

I usually find myself ordering from B & B in the spring & the fall, just can't help myself. I'm still whittling down the list though.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 10:40AM
Maggie M.(z7 Sunset7 CA Sierra Foothills)

I buy the winter bulbs and never seem to get them in the ground - I'm always scrounging for pots to dunk them into so I won't lose them. We seem to go from "too hot to plant them" to "cold & wet & I don't want to be outside" so fast.

This year I captured local photos of daffodil varieties so I'll know what to order come summer. Tried looking at my web suppliers but some of the sites take down their winter bulbs until it's ok to be placing orders again (not that I need to order them right now). Placed a trigger on my calendar to ping me about daffodils in summer - I'll go back and look at my own post to remember what I wanted.

Posted the photos on my blog, linked below. I'll link one of the posts here, so anyone reading 6 months form now can find it:
http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/differing-daffodils/

Here is a link that might be useful: mists and enchantments my blog

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 12:07AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

For some reason the spring bulbs don't tempt me like the fall ones do. I guess since I can't afford to grow them as annuals, I've learned to limit how many things I will have to dig back up in the fall.... sort of.... I still have more dahlias and cannas than i should.

Karen I usually have some spare daffs and tulips in the summer. Drop me an email if you're interested

nice photos faerygardener!

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 8:04PM
Maggie M.(z7 Sunset7 CA Sierra Foothills)

Thanks Kato! Understand on the spring planted bulbs. I moved a few years back and in my previous climate everything did well.Took me those years and multiple attempts to just give up on certain bulbs.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Sponsored Products
POLYWOOD Recycled Plastic Captain Collection Bar Height Dining Set - PW129
Hayneedle
Imperial Cat Sofa Scratch n Shapes - Love Seat - 00138
$23.29 | Hayneedle
Nappula Candlestick - Celadon Green - Iittala
$39.00 | HORNE
Hopson U-Chaise Sectional - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
POLYWOOD Traditional Recycled Plastic 60 in. Garden Bench - TGB60BL
$579.00 | Hayneedle