Using bath tubs for planters

nico_girl3(9a)January 19, 2014

Hello I was wondering if any one had any advice about setting up a vegetable garden using repurposed bath tubs. Hoping someone here has done this and can offer some advice/information/tips. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Sounds like a great idea, as long as you leave the drain cracked open at the bottom. And as long as you don't need to move it.

What are those tubs made out of -- porcelain? What does the summer heat or winter cold do to that material? Guess it wouldn't be that different from a glazed clay pot, but I'm not sure. If direct summer sun on the tub increases soil temps an incremental 50 degrees or something, you might need to be concerned.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Because there's a large amount of surface area with only 1 small hole at one end, one would need a soil mix that water flows through as fast as it can rain. Otherwise, you will have a tub of drowned, rotted plants.

On the bottom inside, some kind of wire mesh or similar, sitting on rocks or bricks between soil and tub, would give water a way to escape over the whole surface area, where it should be able to run out the drain fast enough. I might even do a layer of landscape fabric over the mesh, to make sure sediment can't get through to clog the drain space I've bothered to create.

Is the placement in question, or already decided?

Follow the timing schedule for your area, for whatever plants you'd like to have. For most veg plants, timing is the key.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™