Transplanting Crocus

whiteforest(6 MI)March 16, 2012

My neighbor has crocus, tulips and daffodils growing up randomly all over his lawn, and he's planning to rip it out and sod this spring, so he let me dig up whatever I wanted. I recovered about 100 little crocus bulbs, 98% of which have not bloomed yet this year. Will I have any luck transplanting them to my yard? What do I need to know about growing crocuses?

Also, because my yard is also getting a complete overhaul, can I plant some of the crocus in pots for the summer, then put the bulbs in the ground later?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Also, because my yard is also getting a complete overhaul, can I plant some of the crocus in pots for the summer, then put the bulbs in the ground later?
I think that would be fine, or you could plant a bunch of them (crowded in a hole) in an out of the way place and then move them later. I say that because I have problems maintaining 'proper' moisture in containers and find everything does better for me in the ground.

Also found this at the link below:
Transplanting/Dividing: The best time to move or divide bulbs is when their foliage has all but withered, signaling the end of active growth. Lift them with a digging fork or a spade, taking care to avoid injuring the bulbs, and replant them immediately at the same depth and about three times their diameter apart.
Even though they were dug early, they should be fine and grow and recover and bloom for you. It might take them an additional year to recover and bloom though.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: whiteflowerfarm.com/crocus

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 9:29AM
whiteforest(6 MI)

Thank you, Sue! I loosely covered all of the roots with damp soil yesterday after I dug them out, so I'll get out and find a place for them this afternoon.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 11:13AM
whiteforest(6 MI)

Well, the crocuses would have been successfully transplanted if I wasn't waking up every morning to them being ravaged by squirrels! Grr.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 10:07AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I've never had much luck with crocuses because the critters love to dig them up or nibble the leaves down to nubs. Grr.

Martha

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™