Best growing medium for sub-irrigated planters

gjshawk(6)January 6, 2014

Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I posted, because I don't grow stuff in the winter, but spring will be here in a few months and I am thinking ahead. Last year was my first with square foot beds, and I had quite a bit of success, but I also had three Grow Boxes that performed very well also.

My plan for this year is to continue with the four raised beds, the three Grow Boxes, and add some more containers using the rain gutter watering system. I'm going to automate the watering with float valves and such in the rain gutter system, and maybe even convert the Grow Boxes to float valves. I have a family reunion coming up in July and I know I will be gone for about a week. I don't want to come home to a dead garden because of lack of water.

I'm posting because, even though I'm told to use potting mix for sub-irrigated planters, last season I used Mel's mix and had good success. There might be something better out there that I don't know about but one of you might, so please let me know if you are an old hand with sub-irrigation.

Also, I had a problem with blossom end rot with my tomatoes in the planters. Not so much in the raised beds. Thanks in advance for the good advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Have you heard about Raybo's Earthtainer? The potting mix he recommends in his latest guide is 3 parts of a quality peat-based mix like Promix, 2 parts pine bark fines and 1 part perlite. This mix has better aeration and is less expensive than straight bagged mix. Vermiculite and compost can be a problem in a container. You can read about it and download his guide on the Tomatofest website. The "advanced" recipe is in the appendix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthtainers

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 10:19AM
gjshawk(6)

Thanks, Ohiofem. I'll check into your recommendation. I've read about the gritty mix and the other one, but my understanding is that they are for top down irrigation. I'm doing the bottom up kind this coming spring. Can't wait for all the snow to melt and the days to warm up so I can get started. I'll see if I can correct the mistakes of last year.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 9:28PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Raybo's mix is not the same as gritty or 5-1-1 mix. It is specifically intended for "bottom up" watering. That's why the largest proportion is peat. (Promix is 85% peat). Like the Earthbox people, Raybo's does not recommend either vermiculite or compost, which make up one third each of Mel's mix. Both can become too soggy in a saturated mix.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 10:04PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I should have mentioned that both the Earthbox formula and Raybo's add one cup of dolomitic lime per cubic foot of soil to add calcium and magnesium, which can help prevent BER. SIPs also need the lime to keep the mix from being too acidic for most veggies.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 10:12PM
gjshawk(6)

Thanks again, Ohiofem, for the post. I'll give the Raybo's mix a try this year. Thanks also for the info on the lime. I've wondered how much to add per cubic foot. Last year I didn't add any and had a BER problem. I'll save my compost and vermiculite for the square foot beds and get some of the other ingredients for the sub-irrigated stuff. Can't wait to start. Still have snow though.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Affordable but Good Looking Containers?
I have a few areas of my garden that are just container...
kjmm1
Container Garden Vacation Watering
I'll be leaving for my wedding at the end of June and...
meawea
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Sponsored Products
Wood Tub With Chalkboard
$24.99 | zulily
Herb Pot Duo
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Century Outdoor Living 36-inch One-door Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
D and W Silks Lighted Calla Lilies in Square Metal Planter - 119059
$92.98 | Hayneedle
Campania International Pine Meadow Bird Bath - B-090-NA
$609.99 | Hayneedle
Red Homeland Trike Planter
$24.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. European Park Style Four Bronze Globe Pl
Home Depot
2-piece Lush Decor Flower Drops Ivory Kitchen Tiers
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™