Repotting bonsai out of season

Gardening_Kiwi(UK)August 26, 2005

Hello all

I am new to bonsai and have a problem with my Zelkova. I think that it needs repotting as there are lots of little fine thread-like roots coming up from the soil. It only has about 10% leaves on it at the moment but new ones are still appearing. I suspect my poor watering technique is to blame - I must do better. It is late summer here so not really the time to repot but it looks in such poor condition that i'm not sure which will be the worst option; repotting out of season or leaving it for another few months. I'd be grateful for some advice.

Many thanks

Gardening Kiwi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Can you just literally lift the whole thing out of its pot in one piece, very gently bring down the worst of the 'up' roots, and get it into a slightly larger pot just tamping new fast draining soil around the rootball for now and doing nothing else at all til spring? Best to wait til Oct/Nov. even for that though.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 9:46PM
Zburkett(VA)

We had a storm that broke some of my bonsai pots so I had to repot them in the worst of summer. So far so good, I haven't lot one yet. Zack

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 7:25AM
TimZ8

As long as you're not cutting roots it would be OK with the proper recover period and method. Keep them out of full sun for about a month. I had to repot a failing san jose juniper about 6 weeks ago in 100 degree heat and it has put out lots of new growth.

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 9:22AM
bwaynef(z7 SC)

Repotting seems to be something many people fear. If the mix you have your tree in is too rich (think dirt) then the drainage will complicate things further than an out of season repot would. Thats not to say that repotting SHOULD be done at any time, but it can be used as an emergency fix. The sooner its in better soil (with good aftercare including proper watering technique) the better the chance of survival.

WF

Bookmark   September 1, 2005 at 9:46AM
sapolice

I just repotted my Chinese Elm which is in a very tiny pot and the summer here is very hot. I just lifted it out of its pot like mentioned before and inserted it into a bigger pot with gritty soil all around the base. Time will tell but I cannot see how this could drastically affect the tree when nothing was really upset much.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 5:53AM
More Discussions
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Pepper Bonsai help
Hi, I've just received some Bolivian Rainbow Pepper...
alouyakis
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™