Daffodils aren't blooming as I'd expected...

quilt_mommy(5/6 Northeast Ohio)April 18, 2009

Last year I planted nearly 100 daffodils. This year about 8 are blooming so far. We had a mole that I think we were able to rid of, but I'm wondering if he damaged the daffs? It looks as if the mole or some other critters may have eaten some of them - but the wierd thing is, I'd say about 30-40 that have budded and are ready to bloom, the rest don't even have buds forming, just leaves growing. Is this normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodthrush(z4PA)

Are they all the same variety of daffy? Some may be early, mid season or late season bloomers. So they will bud at
different times. Moles don't eat bulbs. Voles will, but they eat tulips and lilies and such, but not daffy's. Daffy's are poisonous to most critters.
Pam

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 10:21AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

As Pam stated above, daffs bulbs are not eaten my any creatures. My local daff friend did tell me though that she has had undersoil critters dig under hers, causing them to either not bloom (no moisture due to tunneling), or to even die out.

As Pam asked...are they all the same variety, or possibly a mix that might be early, mid season, and late ones?

I had very very early daffs blooms about March 14th. There have been many cultivars blooming since then. There are now a couple of cultivars that are at different stages of budding. One particular variety (Martinette),likely won't bloom for maybe another two weeks as the buds have barely emerged in the folds of the foliage.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Martinette-super late bloomer

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 10:48AM
quilt_mommy(5/6 Northeast Ohio)

Sue & Pam - thank you so much. They do seem to be different varieties, so that makes sense. Maybe some are later bloomers. Also it does look as if the mole did tunnel underneath, and I even had to put a few back into the dirt, as I was waking up to see a handful of the bulbs that I planted last fall sitting on top of the soil. They seemed to have still grown, but maybe as you said they just won't get buds this year. I tried to water them as the ground looked dry, so I hope that they are salvageable. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
daves10z7annv
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
Sponsored Products
Daffodil Metal Garden Bench - SLM105
$103.94 | Hayneedle
Lisabetta Leaf Plaid Fabric in Parsley and Daffodil
$20.00 | FabricSeen
Paradise Cushions Cushions Sunbrella Daffodil Outdoor Hinged Bench Cushion
$89.99 | Home Depot
Round Wood Planter
$12.99 | zulily
Daffodil Twilight Tea Lantern
Signature Hardware