Canna and Zantadeschia questions

miclino(5)April 26, 2012

I recently purchased some Canna australia from Brent and Beckys. Would they affected by lawn chemicals if planted at the edge of the lawn? Is hot afternoon sun a bad idea?

Same questions for Zantadeschia aethiopica and Z. paco. Is part sun good enough for this plant?

Finally, would you plant these around the phone/internet pod/hub thingies that are in the lawn knowing that you have to dig the bulbs out later in the year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miclino(5)

Also, the highs are barely hitting 60s here this week. I read that Cannas hate cool soil. These plants are in small pots with almost a foot of foliage. Should I wait to plant till its warmer?

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 10:17AM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

I'm in FL. Cannas love the heat. Mine are in the hottest spot in my yard, up against a south facing wall in full sun. They love it. They will perform fine in up to half shade here, but prefer sun. They don't really get going until daytime temps start hitting upper 70s to low 80s. Mine stay in ground year round, but they are semi-dormant in winter. I'd wait to plant yours out until the daytime temps are in the 70s.

Zantadeschia prefers part shade. I have tried them in full sun here, and it is too much for them. But when I used to live in Portland, OR, they could take full sun there. The Zantadeschia is more of a cool weather plant.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:11AM
miclino(5)

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:15PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Neither of these plants will survive outdoors over winter in Michigan. Be prepared to lift the tubers and store them frost free over winter. In the case of cannas I prefer to keep them in growth all the year round by keeping them in a centrally heated environment with plenty of light. They do not go dormant naturally so it is better to avoid this.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 11:55PM
miclino(5)

Was digging up the bed to plant the cannas and found the tubers from last season. They looked healthy and firm. We have had such a mild winter that I am not surprised they survived. Once it gets warmer I fully expect to see shoots.

How much light would be required to keep them from going dormant?

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™