Daffodils are a no show

lovetogarden(z4 NY)April 20, 2013

I live in zone 5 in upstate NY. I moved here last year after moving from a zone 3-4 area. My last garden had very fertile, rich soil. I alway grew daffs and tulips by the bushel and have never had a problem before. I grew the large King Alfred, and later in the season, the Poeticas would show up after the King Alfreds stopped blooming. I don't think I ever lost a bulb as everything bloomed prolifically.
Fast forward to my new house. The first thing I did when I moved here was to test the soil (ph, drainage, etc.). The soil was in terrible shape - very sandy and totally infertile. So I ammended the soil ( peat, compost, cow manure, good top soi). I didn't start gardening yesterday so I know how to fix a soil. I then planted several bushels of daffodils and tulips. I incorporated bonemeal into the soil before planting. Despite all I've done there is not one daffodil that is showing. Not even a leaf, though the tulips are already leafing out. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? They're planted properly. They were purchased from a top of the line nursery (place I've used for years becaue they have really pristine bulbs), and were planted at the proper depth in a sunny area, with a nice layer of leaf cover to protect against heaving. All the things I did at my last house so I have no idea what could be wrong. Anyone with any information please help. Thanks and sorry for the long posting.
Just wanted to add that I planted some in a big pot and am getting the same result.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

Can you dig some up and examine the bulbs? Since the ones in the pot didn't come up either, I'm guessing there was a problem with the entire batch of bulbs.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Sponsored Products
Daffodil Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Daffodil Napkin - Set of Six
$16.99 | zulily
Daffodil Metal Park Bench
Overstock.com
Adalene Vase
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Daffodil Bronze Sconce
$41.00 | Bellacor