Daffodils and mulching ?

katnip_ct(z6 CT)April 29, 2007

I have a sunny bed that has lots of daffodils. I also have a number of other perennials in the same bed. I really need to mulch it to keep down the weed situation. My question is do I have to mulch around each and every daffodil? If I don't will they have a problem coming up next year? I was planning on using bark mulch.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Yes, you do because you need to let the foliage ripen, so you can't mulch over them.

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 5:53AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

It probably depends on which grade of bark mulch you plan to use and how thickly you intend to apply it.

If you're thinking of bark pieces around the size of the top joint of your thumb laid about 2-3" thick then the daffodils will have no trouble coming through next year, in my experience. And fertiliser sprinkled over the surface of the mulch does wash through - depending on your rain supply or watering regime.

If the daffs are still in full leaf then mulch around them as if they were perennials and cover over once the foliage has died back.

They seem to get through a cambium mix OK but the larger grades of mulch can be somewhat oppressive for young leaves pushing through.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 5:53AM
lisasmall(7a NoVa)

Vetivert8, I had the same question, thanks for the detailed answer. :)

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™