how long to flowering size-Iris reticulata?

vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)April 3, 2010

I was just given a bazillion little I reticulata offsets which I have planted up in a gritty mix in pots - it being early autumn here.

With the usual mix of TLC and OMG! I forgot!! - how long until they reach flowering size - approximately?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I have never started them from offsets, but after 3 years mine seem to have multiplied, so I think yours might flower in 3 to 4 years.
I love those little iris, but, boy, we have been hit with a heatwave that burned all of my blossoms. :-(
To think that we had a snowstorm 2 weeks ago:

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 7:05AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Depending how little they are, optimistically, you will see a few blooms next spring. Check out the pic at the link below. I'm thinking I have dug and moved offsets that size before and had some of them bloom the following spring.

I guess time will tell...please keep us posted.

That reminds me...I'm having a new propane gas tank set this coming week and need to dig and rescue the reticulatas before they come. I know the 2 clumps bloomed and maybe can tell how many blooms there were, so it will be interesting to see how big the bulbs or offsets are. I wonder if there will be a bazillion.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to the pic of Iris reticulata bulb clump

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 9:20PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I'm greatly cheered! I'll park them beside the Narcissus seedlings and see what happens to them all. Hopefully more TLC than OMG!

I also am very fond of them - particularly the wine-coloured ones. And I enjoy bucharica, as well. (I just hope it got enough of a baking this year.)

Thanks for helping.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™