huge shipment of Bonsai at Walmart...one came home with me

cadillactasteAugust 30, 2013

I am sure that big box stores aren't the best place to purchase a bonsai...but the sentiment rock and the tree growing to the side seemed...whimsical to me. They had no liquid fertilize. Is there a better brand to look for when I go out shopping?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cadillactaste

> Conifers, azaleas and certain others can benefit from a monthly application of an acidic fertilizer, such as MirAcid.

Alright...sorry about that...so once a month verses every two weeks?

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 2:30PM
cadillactaste

Alright...had a friend give me the tip to remove the glued pebbles...but then searched glued pebbles...and seen that it is also suggested to repot. So...humidity drip tray as well? What size of a pot should one get compared to the size of their tree?

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 4:18PM
cadillactaste

> A slightly more advanced mix would be organic matter, inorganic filler and water retentive material in equal parts by volume. This mix would suffice for most conifers.

Okay...this is like forgein language to me...so a mixture of 3rds right?!? So no simple bonsai soil...and you can get this where they sell soil for plants then...

Sorry so many posts...this $10.88 plant...will be worth saving if I can...all over my not Irving able to pass up a sentiment rock in the pot...

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 4:24PM
AndrewRaz(5-6)

Cadillactaste, since nobody else has answered, I'll try.
Take this with a grain of salt, b/c I'm a beginner myself.

The mix you mentioned is the "gritty mix." 1 part fine pine bark, one part Turface or similar, 1 part crushed granite, all particles between 1/8 and 1/4". There's a ton of information on these forums, esp. in the container gardening one. Do some reading, it'll help you in the long run.

However, my advice, after doing what I said: try to find a pre-made gritty mix at a nearby store, or order some online. If you make it yourself, a lot of sources come in 50lb bags, so you might end up with 150lbs for one little bonsai.

Good luck!

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:21PM
cadillactaste

Thanks Andrew...it seems to be thriving. So I am going to plan to try and get this tree through winterisation outdoors this winter...then repotting and putting in better quality of soil for a juniper.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 11:46AM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

I make my own gritty mix, but if you just need a little, you could find a brand called Hoffman Bonsai Mix at most garden centers. It is about 8.99 for a small bag, but it will be fine for what you are using it for. Then if you want to make larger quantities , then you can search out the Grit, Turface and the Firbark!!

I agree.. Keep it healthy until spring to repot.

Good luck!!!

Laura

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying
I bought a small tree from ikea last week (I know that's...
znem1987
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
Pepper Bonsai help
Hi, I've just received some Bolivian Rainbow Pepper...
alouyakis
My bonsai seedling
Okay so I recieved a bonsai kit for Christmas from...
mikyt
New nursery stock Japanese Maple Shania help pls
Hi everyone... I was at a local nursery this weekend...
RGodman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™