A question about bulbs in containers.

nmushka(6)April 9, 2010

Hello,

I was reading up on how bulbs don't do well at all in containers due to overwatering.

But what if I rug up the bulbs right after the foliage dies out, and replant the following spring? Would the bulbs store that long in a paper bag in a closet, or somewhere else cool/dry? What if I fridge them?

Thank you in advance..

Nadya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmushka(6)

Edit: The bulbs I've got a are hyacinths, tulips, and daffodils..

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 7:29AM
sunandshadow

Those are all supposed to be planted in fall, not spring.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:24AM
nmushka(6)

... Question stands. What if I refrigerated them over a few months?

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 4:25PM
sunandshadow

You're in zone 6, there's no need to refrigerate them if you are planting them in fall. Unless you meant planting them into containers? then you'd have to put the containers somewhere they wouldn't freeze.

If you plant fall bulbs in spring after refrigerating 3 months, they will probably bloom, but they'll be slower than bulbs of the same variety which were planted in the ground in fall. The tulips may not bloom regardless of what you do with them, tulips are just less eager to bloom year after year.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 6:08PM
gardengal48

Your post is a little confusing. Do you have the bulbs growing in containers now? If so, you can plant them in the garden whenever you want. After the blossoms fade, cut off the flowering stems only, lift the bulbs with as much soil intact as possible and plant in an appropriate location in well-drained soil in the ground. Allow the foliage to ripen and dry just as you would regular inground planted bulbs. You may want to plant them deeper than they were in the container - typically, container planted bulbs are not planted as deeply as they would be in the ground.

They should come up and bloom next spring as normal.....with the possible exception of the tulips, which tend not to perennialize very well

FWIW, spring flowering bulbs planted in a container will do just fine - 1000's of gardeners grow them this way. You just need to make sure you have a good, fast draining potting soil and offer sufficient winter accommodations for your climate. And protect from excessive rainfall.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 10:52AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Nadya,
What you read about too much water has little to do with the pots. It does mean that we do not plant spring flowering bulbs in situations that will be damp all summer which could lead to rot. Watering the pots every week in summer is a no-no also for the same reason.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™