Lily bulb cages

sujiwan_gwApril 27, 2010

My gorgeous lilies from the past couple years did absolutely fine until this winter. I had lined the bed with hardware cloth and all around. I did not, however, have a top. I figured the buggers weren't going to climb up and over if they found my bed. After the snow melted I found lots of holes down in the bed plus something had pulled bulbs out and methodically chewed each one, leaving a pile of scales next to the bed. I don't know which culprit *that* is. Any ideas?

I have new lilies on order and I figure I have to put them in cages. But I'm not sure about the gauge since some of these lilies have really thick stalks! Will the stems get through the opening and yet keep the voles from getting inside the cage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

I've never used cages to protect my lilies, but some of my Orienpets have up to 1.5" diameter stalks. I guess it is more than enough for voles to get into the cage.
Have you tried repellent? I treat my bulbs with Bonide Bulb Dust. It also acts as an insecticide and bulb rot control.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:28AM
sujiwan_gw

That's what I'm worried about--those monster stalks! No, I haven't tried Bonide products. It looks like that is more for insect or fungal stuff.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:58AM
alina_1

It also acts as a repellent. It contains Cedar Oil, Garlic Powder and Dried Blood as the active ingredients. ingredients. The manual says: Grow healthy bulbs resistant to insect, desease and rodent depredation.

BTW, did we buy Epimediums from Naylor Creek together a couple of years ago??

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™