Watering Requirements For Gladiolus??

brownthumb65(8B Florida)April 15, 2010

Good Morning Everyone!

I am a new gardener and decided to plant some Gladiolus.

My question is this:

After initial planting of the bulbs it says to "water well" and I've done that, but how often should I water them before they start to sprout??

I don't want them to drown and die before hand.

Thanks for any advice.

Halime

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brownthumb65(8B Florida)

Anybody??
Please??

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 10:18AM
duluthinbloomz4

Gladiolus corms provide virtually everything the plant needs to sprout and produce bloom stalks. You surely can kill them (rot) by overwatering. Since you've watered after planting as recommended, leave them alone...

... then, water plants during the summer if rainfall is less than 1 inch per week.

Be prepared to stake them once bloom stalks appear. The flower stalk is heavy and they tend to fall over. You can mitigate that by planting them a little deeper than they recommend and also much closer together than they recommend. They are more attractive planted in bunches rather than in soldierly marching rows.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:44PM
brownthumb65(8B Florida)

Thank you duluthinbloomz4! I didn't know they were called corms, but now I do. I appreciate your input. I am trying these for the first time and I kinda did a zig zag pattern. I was reading that I could also plant some more in a couple of weeks to get even more flowers during the season. I planted 10 and I am a bit out of shape so I am still recovering and will do the other 10 since you mentioned they can be planted closer together. I have them spaced at about 7 inches now.

I also am pretty sure I can leave these in the ground since I am zone 8b for the winter. Thank God for that!

Thanks again.

Halime

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 10:07PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Many gardeners will plant glads weekly to extend the bloom season. They are very unlikely to rot in the soil even if you have prolonged rain. From planting to bloom will be very close to 90 days. They will over winter in your zone and multiply. Colors may change over the years and may all end up the same color. Mine revert to an orange shade. Average garden soil suits them, and fertilizing may add to the need to stake. Al

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Any idea what these are going to be?
I was cleaning up a small garden left over from our...
jenandwya
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
Priscilla Mirror
$357.90 | Horchow
Porcelain Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Campania International Gnome Garden Cast Stone Planter - S-457-AL
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Rustic Outdoor Sofa with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Mini Round Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Rosaline Pink Crystal an
$300.00 | Bellacor
Set of Two Turkish Cotton Wash Cloths
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™