Tell me about Gladiolus callianthus

maureeninmd(z6 MD)April 15, 2010

What can you tell me about Gladiolus callianthus 'Murielae' (Abyssinian glad). I've read that they are hardier and bloom later than "regular" glads. I just received a bunch from Brent and Becky's and am trying to decide where to put them.

Does the foliage look good most of the season? How far apart would you plant them?(B and B says 5-10 per square foot but that seems a bit ridiculous). Do they look best in big groups or scattered here and there? Would they do OK in extremely well-drained soil? (rich soil with tons of very small rocks)

I do not plan on digging and storing them over the winter. I am probably more of a zone 7 so I will just pile mulch on them.

Thanks for any info

Maureen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Think of them as a fragrant gladiolus. They take much longer than the 90 days of a regular glad till bloom time. Not a problem here with our long season. I would not plant closer than four inches, but would plant in a group. Used to be called Acidenthera bicolor. They should be stored same as other glads. They like a rich soil and will also tend to require staking. Al

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 8:31AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I find them to be pretty much drought proof but I tend to lose the flowers to any early frosts. Can you give a warm micro-climate? (I think they're worth it.)

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 11:57PM
maureeninmd(z6 MD)

Thanks for the responses. They are supposedly hardy to Zone 7 (USDA) so I am surprised to hear that they can be lost to early frosts.

I have rich soil but HATE staking, (the worst chore in the world). I thought they were only 18-24" tall?

I was going to plant them in May but probably should do it now. This Spring has been SO warm that the soil is probably warm enough.
Maureen

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™