right time to plant new day lilly in 7A

jollyrd(Richmond VA)April 1, 2011

I remember that I devided my day lilly plants in fall two years ago. But when is the right time to plant new day lilly bulbs in Richmond VA area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Daylilies - Hemerocallis - are not really bulbs, despite the 'lily' part of their name :-) They are fleshy rooted perennials and can be planted as soon as your soil is workable (no longer frozen, not overly saturated) and at any time through the growing season.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 10:57AM
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

that's right, they are not bulbs, silly me. I remeber they just have roots/rhizomes.
Thanks

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 4:51PM
viktoria5

I have been lifting and replanting the wandering daylilies that jump the neighbour's fence into my kitchen garden for the past two years at various times during the growing season. I always get good results no matter when I transplant them. It seems to me these are among the most forgiving plants. I also apply what I read somewhere about these guys liking to be planted close together, so I usually dig a big hole and just dump a bunch of rhizomes without applying any kind of spacing. It is likely that some rhizomes just die, but the ones that don't seem to make up for this nicely.

Interestingly, I have left rhizomes with leaves attached in buckets for weeks on end before finding the time to plant them. I periodically drench them in the mean time. They most amazingly survive and don't seem to be bothered by this shady practice.

Don't worry too much and just go ahead and dump them if your soil is workable.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™