Naturalizing the median

anenemityApril 4, 2011

I would like to eliminate the grassy area between the sidewalk of my house and the street by planting some naturalizing perennials. Mowing and edging is difficult on such a busy street! I got the idea from This Old House:

This will be on the east side of the house. The southern end receives pretty much full sun while the northern end receives afternoon shade. Ideally I'd like a variety of greenery and flowers with year-round interest. Being a novice gardener, though, I don't know if this is too much to ask! Any suggestions on plants for making this a low-maintenance border?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavatea(TX - 8a)

I'm watching with interest for follow-ups to your question. My parents have a similar situation in their front yard (even the busy street!). I suggested bluebonnets (we're in TX), but my mom looked at me like I was crazy. Not sure why.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

You might want to post this same question on the perennials forum, I'm sure they will be more than helpful with ideas and plant suggestions.... on this forum people would likely fill it with way too many bulbs! lol

The type of planting you are refering to is sometimes called 'hell strip' planting, because of the 'hell' plants have to go through with drought and car doors and salt and dogs etc... try googling that and you'll find even more info.

Keep in mind there are sometimes restrictions on what you can do and plant since oftentimes it's town owned. Height restrictions are probably the most important that comes to mind since tall plants may block visibility at intersections, being able to get in and out of a car park alongside the road is another.... but as for the rest I can't think of any other major ones and I'm kinda the person who would plant first and worry later.

Here is a link that might be useful: article on hell strip plantings

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™