Need help identifying mystery bulbs

ileeakittyApril 17, 2009

I have a flower bed in my front yard that hasnt been tended at all for at least 4-5 years. Yesterday I dug up around 50-60 plants that look like gigantic green onions. My mother remembers that they bloom in the winter months with a white flower that she thought was a sego lily but I am not convinced that is what they are. They are all approximately 3 feet tall with bulbs that range fom the size of a marble to the size of a golf ball and they really do look a lot like onions. There is no smell to the bulb or stem so I know thats not what they are. I am convinced they are some sort of lily but I am no gardener by any stretch of the imagination. Can anyone help? I have a few pictures at the link below. I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Ileea

http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss128/ileeakitty/

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery bulbs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

They look like Freesia's to me. They look like they would have bloomed if not dug up. I would plant them again, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Al

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ileeakitty

Thank you. My mother now thinks they are daffodils. Does this sound possible or probable? And I did replant some of them but I planted them about 6-8 inches apart. Maybe I should go back and fill in the gaps with some more. Should I leave the green shoots on them? most of the stalks are bent so they dont stand up anymore. I really am the most inexperienced gardener..lol. So any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Sponsored Products
Platinum Outdoor Post Mt 1-Light
PLFixtures
Vintage Pewter One-Light Brass Shade with Mirrored Reflector Wall Sconce
$119.95 | Bellacor
Vectus Silver 25.5-Inch Four Light Island Pendant
$192.95 | Bellacor
Estel | Embrace Pouf
YLiving.com
Dione 6-Light 25" Wide Polished Nickel Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Smart & Green | Vessel LED Indoor Outdoor Lamp
$209.00 | YLighting
Baby Quasar Plus
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Yellow Desk Lamps: Designer Collection 16 in. Silver Desk Lamp with Yellow Acryl
$52.99 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™