tropicanna companion plantings

mrtoad(7b NC)April 22, 2009

in my potager i have 4 of the raised beds are triangles  4x4x6  in the center of the triangle i am planting (in a partially sunken terra cotta pot) a canna lily , tropicana - the garden has other terra cotta and i use tuscan colors as much as possible

what suggestions do you have as companion plantings around the tropicanna, canna lily Â

thanks

mr toad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Cosmos? New Guinea Impatiens - or 'ordinary' Impatiens single or double? Swiss chard with coloured stems? Coleus? Radiccio? Purple Sedum or broccoli? Bedding dahlias - if you can catch the red or pink streak of the tropicanna? Pink sage? Lantana? Dark basil?

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 9:29PM
bubba62

Mine are interplanted with Eucomis "Sparkling Burgundy", which echo the canna's dark foliage (propagated via leaf cuttings) and Sinningia selloviae, with red spikes of bloom all summer. Both of these are reasonably hardy here and like the same conditions as the cannas - lots of water and warmth in summer, drier with a deep mulch in the winter. There's kind of a cool contrast among the colors and shapes of the blooms as well.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 4:06AM
njoynit(Z8b Coastal ~secluded)

I have some daylillys,salvia& red castor beans,amaryllis,glads& yes basil /ruby something it has purple leafs& does better than purple ruffles.If i don't let it flower it keeps the dark coloring& gets bushier then in oct I'll let it flower....it gets the greenish cast just like purple ruffles then.The 1st year I grew them.I planted blackie sweet potato vine& had yellow mums near them also.but was mad the cannas didn't bloom.They get full blasted sun now.I might move some mums back by them.A good vine would be black eyed susan vine.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™