Crocosmia bulbs, ok to nick?

lotodig(z6Mid Tenn)April 15, 2010

Want to say hello and let you regular posters know that I enjoy you postings and am getting a lot of good info about bulbs.

I have gardened for years and have a pretty good collection of perennials and have decided to expand my small collection Crocosmia "Lucifer" to different colors. I just got in some bulbs I ordered and have soaked them overnight in water. My question is do you think if I "nick" them it will help speed up the sprouting process? I would sure like to get some blooms this summer.

thanks for the info you share

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I had never heard of 'nicking' any bulbs before planting, but in doing a little search I see one can do that to the Glad bulbs.

If in doubt, I wouldn't do it and take a chance on possibly damaging them. If you have several Crocosmia corms, you could try it with a couple and plant them seperate of the others that were not nicked and see what happens.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring planted bulbs

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I thought the title meant snitching a few :-)

Crocosmia are extemely vigorous here. However, cutting, or nicking, a bulb is to invite disease. If I accidently cut a bulb I dust with sulpher immediately. It's like a cut on your hand - open to infection.

Bulbs have their own time schedule in tune with nature. Nicking them is not going to speed things up. Nicking a sweet pea seed is a whole different matter.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™