Skagit Valley Tulip Festival

gardengal48April 27, 2011

The Skagit Valley of Washington state is the largest commercial bulb production area in the world outside of Holland. Thousands of acres are devoted to the growing of tulips, narcissus, iris and other spring bulbs. The flowers supply the local (west coast) cut flower industry and the bulbs are sold directly to consumers as well as being exported to Holland for sale throughout the world! Each year in April, the Valley is host to the annual Skagit Valley Tulip Festival, which attracts over a million visitors each year.

While there are a number of excellent display gardens that show the bulbs in a garden setting (all nicely labeled), what is absolutely breathtaking is seeing the expanse of field grown tulips in full bloom, acres and acres of them in stripes of vivid color. I've linked to a video of a recent festival for your enjoyment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skagit Valley Tulip Festival video

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Not much of that around this year :-) Spoke to friend who visited this past Saturday - the only nice day of the season so far - and he said it was so crowded, you had to stand in line to even get into the display gardens and traffic through the area was at a standstill. Who wants to look at tulips fields, no matter how lovely they are, when it is pouring rain and cold and blowy?? Fortunately, the tulips don't seem to mind the weather at all. And the lack of heat tends to prolong the bloom season :-)

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 11:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Nice to see sunny skies with the gorgeous flowers. :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™