Mystery plant, possible bulb??

tooslimApril 17, 2008

I know this is a long shot, but here goes...Hubby and I were at the Biltmore Estate which has an extraordinary garden. And of course they put name tags on on the common plants (!!!!) but not the uncommon ones. We could not find a garden worker. I believe it may have been a bulb, like a tulip. The foliage was thin green, thinner than daffodil. The flower was medium yellow, 6 petals,if you looked down from the top it looked like 2 triangles inverted on each other. The bud was reddish/orange on the outside, but the flower opened to the yellow on the inside. It was so pretty I would love to plant it but remains a mystery. Any guesses out there????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

No Idea, but i too would love to know. You might try asking at the link below. Those folks are the greatest even with just a description as you have here. You might include the approximate height too, if you know it.

I've always wanted to tour Biltmore Estate , especially in the Spring. Did you possibly get some pics to share?...hint, hint.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 1:04PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

You don't say WHEN you were at Biltmore, but if it was in summertime, it sounds like Tigridia Pavonia (although it would look like three triangles). You can see a picture of them at BRENTANDBECKYSBULBS.com.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 8:58PM
EGO45(6bCT)

Do they look like on a link below?
If yes, they are indeed, tigridia pavonia.
Anual, except z10.
Flowers are numerous, but each flower live one day only.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 9:33PM
mc_bc_embarqmail_com

I have a plant I need help identifying. I bought it at a garden center on sale with no name or tag. It is a 3 blub plant with the bulbs exposed on top of the soil and it bloomed in April with a pretty blue flower similar to an agapanthus (Lily of the Nile)except the stem was not erect and was more airy and with just a few flowers in the cluster. It did not die back completely after blooming and I overwintered it in the greenhouse. It bloomed again in April of this year. It is not doing well in our Texas heat and the foliage is dying now. I do not know how to help it since I do not know what it is. Can anyone help?

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 8:38PM
calistoga_al

Bobbie we really need a picture. Why do you not start your own thread? Did you already try the name that plant forum? Al

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 9:06AM
izharhaq

This is a very old thread Bobbie, Al is right you should take the advice. However, your plant may be a Society Garlic?

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 2:40AM
pizzuti(5A)

I don't know if it is still of any help to the author of this post, but the description sounds strikingly familiar to a species tulip, Tulipa clusiana "chrysantha."

They look like tulips because they are indeed tulips, but since they are small and have very thin, blade-like leaves, and pointy petals, that would throw some people off who are used to seeing the traditional cup-shaped hybridized tulips.

But they are indeed red/orange and yellow exactly like the description. Quite easy to grow, too.

Hope it can help now, some 3 years later!

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 1:17AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Bobbie's plant could be Brodiaea.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:57AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If it is a Brodaiea then it would be losing its leaves in summer. Going dormant to miss the heat and drought.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 4:34AM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™