more help on bulb timing

trailer_gal(z4 ND)April 9, 2009

A few weeks back I wrote needing advice about timing the bulbs that I got at Walmart that were just coming up at that time. I needed them to be blooming April 17. The hyacinth are at a point of showing what color they will be, pink or lilac and I am wondering if they are going a little too fast and will be spent by the April 17. How long does the bloom on the hyacinth last? I will take them out of the sun and out from under the grow lights. Should I also put them in a cool, dark room? I have a room that could be kept at 50 or 60 and pretty dark. The tulips and daffodils are not showing any flower coming up the stem. Some do have a bit of a bulge. They might not make it on time but will keep them in sunny windows and grow lights.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

Forgot to mention, we have a garage that stays about 40 degrees. Would that be an option to slow bloom development?

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 11:52AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

The hyacinth are at a point of showing what color they will be, pink or lilac and I am wondering if they are going a little too fast and will be spent by the April 17.
They will probably be fine. What I would do with them, is let them mature a good bit until they are nearly in full bloom. Then put them in the garage and dark would be best.
That should 'hold' them at that point for several days. They should then be very pretty and fragrant for the 17th and not immediately decline.

I know your bulbs are potted but below is a pic of 4 daffodil blooms after they been picked and stored in the cool dark basement for 5 1/2 days. I was really surprised at how well the blooms stayed nice after being cut that long.

hth. Good luck!

Sue

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 12:33PM
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

Thanks for answering so soon, Sue. I will take them out of the cool, no sun room and put them back in the sun and grow light room until they are in bloom. Then to the garage. Your daffodils really did stay beautiful by keeping them that way.
I now do see that the white tulips are starting to show maybe some color, or at least a real bud. I may be keeping them too warm as they are under lights or else in bright windows because I want them to hurry up. I can see the white tulips are already getting a bit leggy, probably from being so warm. Daffodils are still nice and compact but no sign of blooming. It is going to be an adventure. Thanks again for answering.
Sherry

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™