Bulbs---Greens but no flowers?

rubylApril 15, 2012

I planted some bulbs (which I believe were some kind of amaryllis) about 10 years ago. Every year I get lots of lovely green leaves, but have NEVER had a shoot with a flower on it. Could I have planted the bulbs too shallow/deep? I would love to see what these bulbs can produce! Many thanks~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

How much sun do they get? Nerines, for example, need a good summer baking and plenty of sun for most of the day.

Do you mulch around them? Or feed them with a high nitrogen fertiliser? Less kindness and a serving of wood ash could be useful.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:28AM
buttercupia(zone4 IA)

Also, the amaryllis needs plenty of fertilizer (not too much nitrogen, but lots of nutrition and good bulb and flower feed)You can use a bloom booster or flowering plant fertilizer and composted manure mixed into the soil and watering during dry spells will help make the bulb plenty plump. (I bring mine inside and put them into a dark closet for 6wks, then bring them out, water and watch them bloom, but I have had them not bloom when they were dry and not fertilized well in early to mid summer and looked lean when bringing them in.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 1:45AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Ruby if you would edit your name to indicate your location or zone it would help you get good advice. For you to grow amaryllis in the ground year around I will guess your zone is similar to mine. Mine bloom reliable in average garden soil with average water and sun. They are planted with 2/3 of the bulb under the soil. The soil has compost added yearly, but no fertilizer. Mine were Christmas time forced bulbs planted after the bloom into the garden. Al

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 8:10AM
debstuart1(z4NH)

It looks like there will be a lot more of this - but of course we have had weird weather. Are other people experiencing this?

Do we know if daffs which blast this year might recover and bloom another year? If you look "bud blast" up on the internet you get a wide range of why this MAY happen!

Deborah

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™