Tulip newbie

pyxiwulf(7)April 7, 2010

Forgive my total lack of knowledge, this is my first year with tulips, first time ever I have gotten bulbs to grow in the ground and not in a container, and my first ever blooms (I can't get potted narcissus to bloom for the life of me)!

My question is, does each bulb only give one flower a year? I know I read about some that I think said would have multiple blooms at one time, but mine appear to be singles, so does that mean I only get the one? I wish I could find my package with the specific one I have on it, but I can't. All I know is it's from Lowes and here is a pic of my first bloom:

Secondary question: my first bloom opened yesterday morning and then we had record highs in the 90s and it looks so sad now. Did it kill it? I have several more open today with similar highs expected again, is there something I can do to protect them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Yes, tulips only bloom one flower except for a few of the species that do multiples. I have several of them but can't remember the names. They are tiny.

No experience with tulips in that kind of heat, not sure what to tell you.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maureeninmd(z6 MD)

Here in Maryland, it has been very hot for the last few days and ALL of my Spring flowers are wilting and crisping. I have no words for how mad this makes me!

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™