when to use gritty mix and when to use the 511

egyronin(6B-7-BK,NY)February 24, 2013

reading alot in here about the gritty and 511 mix.it makes total sense to me.i think this mix will work very good for me.

my question is Al talks about the 511 mix all the time but all your pics has the gritty mix in them.my containers will be out all the time till the end of the season.it seems like both mixes will hold the water all the same,right?correct me if i am wrong.maybe someone that exeperice both mix could shed some light for me.
gritty mix is super for bonsai but it be good in nyc climate to be outside?should i opt for the 511 mix.i guss the qestion is what is the main difference.help plz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycgarden(6)

I use the 511 mix more since being on a roof, weight is an issue. The gritty mix lasts longer but weighs more. The 511 can be reused for up to 3 seasons. You will have to re-screen the bark to get the right size again. NYC climate is fine for outdoor use for either mix.

It's not easy finding the components for either mix in the city. If you find a good source for any of the components, please post.

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardenblog

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:32AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

5-1-1 is easier to make, lighter in weight, holds more moisture for Summer season gardening, and is more economical than many other pre-bagged mixes.

For tomatoes and peppers, I use the 5-1-1 almost exclusively.

Josh

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 12:29PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I use the gritty mix for almost everything I expect to be in the same soil for 2 or more years - mostly all my houseplants, succulents, bonsai, and material I'm growing on as future bonsai. I use the 5:1:1 mix for things I expect to be in the same soil for 1 or 2 seasons only. That would be mostly veggies and mixed floral display containers, but some really vigorous perennial material (tropical hibiscus, datura/brugmansia ....) also get potted in the 5:1:1 mix.

Al

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:25PM
egyronin(6B-7-BK,NY)

nycgarden and greenman thankx for answering.the weight issue is a good point never thought about.i ll post the sources once i got everything.nycgarden the rooftop's 2012 pics is nice.i live in bk let me kno if u need an extra hand prepping for the new season.really.

tapala now i got it.i could see why is it easy to prefer the gritty over the 511 mix..if the weight not an issue.i ll start with the 511 and later i will switch slowly to the gritty.thankx Al

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™