Moving tulips and daffs now?

melaroma(6)April 25, 2010

I planted daffs and tulips in my mostly empty bed last fall to have something this spring. After I had planted about half of them I had the idea to plant the rest in pots and bury them in the bed. Now it's time to plant my perennials in that bed but I need to move the bulbs I planted directly. Do I wait until the foilage dries up or can I do it right after they are done blooming? Also do I put them back to bed with bulb food or wait until fall to feed them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Let the foliage die naturally. As long as it is green, it feeds the bulbs for the next season. You can add bone meal or Bulb-tone at the time of planting.

If your tulips are not species or Darwin hybrids, they will probably not return next year anyway. Just one more thing to consider if you are going to move them...

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 11:59AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

If your tulips are not species or Darwin hybrids, they will probably not return next year anyway. Just one more thing to consider if you are going to move them...
I'll second that. Unless they are Darwin's or species, they likely would not be worth your time and trouble to dig them. They will just send up nice looking foliage in the years to come with just a bloom or two, here and there.

Sue

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 8:29AM
melaroma(6)

Oh boy, I will have to look that up. I had no idea that some kinds do not come back and flower. Thanks guys!

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™