Lycoris in my zone 7 garden

geoforce(z7a SE PA)April 7, 2014

I've had the pink lycoris (L. squamigera) in my gardens for years and decided to try some of the others which may or may not be hardy here. I planted one bulb of L. radiate last fall as a test, and it survived the winter (maybe one a bit worse than our average) with flying colors, so I ordered in more bulbs of it as also some others which might be hardy in this zone.

L. chinensis is reported to be fine here and also L. springier, and I couldn't resist trying L aura, though I have grave doubts if it will survive.

Hoping for the best.

George

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Lycoris squamigera, L. longituba, L. chinensis and L. sprengeri are all perfectly hardy for me. I have never tried L. radiata, but I have always read it was hardy to zone 7 anyway? The problem with it in my zone is that it produces foliage in autumn which can then be damaged or killed by the multiple freeze-thaw cycles of winter and early spring, and this is said to weaken and eventually kill the bulb. However, in areas that consistently have good, deep, reliable snow cover that protects the foliage, I imagine L. radiata could survive and thrive in much colder zones. Good luck with your experiments!

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:57AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

In Oklahoma I had chinensis, radiata, sprengeri, aurea, all successfully. This year with the alternate freeze thaw that the poster above mentioned (and being in the deep freeze for long periods), I lost the radiata foliage in mid to late December.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 5:06PM
myrmecodia(7 NC)

Plant Delights sells a L. aurea from Guizhou, China that they claim is hardy in zone 7. The commercial form commonly available from big bulb vendors is not. The bulb will survive, but the foliage is destroyed by temperatures in the mid 20s. Consequently, the bulb gets smaller and weaker each year and never flowers.

This winter, our low was 6 F. The foliage survived on all of my L. radiata. Some plants looked pretty bad afterwards, but others had spotless foliage. Presumably, there is some variability in the hardiness of different clones

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
daves10z7annv
Sponsored Products
Garden Party Table
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Brass Accented Copper Garden Torch with Scroll Yard Stake - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Hazel Hedgehog Garden Statue - 327
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Belle Foret Pull-Down Sprayer Kitchen ORB
PLFixtures
Muse LED Wall Sconce by Modern Forms
$248.50 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Natural / Terra 6 ft.
Home Depot
Beau Jardin 21" Wide Rose Gold Beaded Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Garden shades placemats set of four (one set left)
Origin Crafts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™