A silly question about glads...

quilt_mommy(5/6 Northeast Ohio)April 20, 2009

Alright, maybe this is just a really dumb question, but I bought a bag of 50 gladiolus bulbs at Walmart, they are EuroBloom brand. I decided after I purchased them that I am going to avoid orange and intense yellows in my garden, and wonder if there is any way to tell which glads are going to be what color? I noticed that some are tinged a purplish color, while some are orangish and some are other colors...so I wondered if this is something that could have been used in their system? Or maybe I'm just a total dork! Lol* Thanks for any help! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I noticed that some are tinged a purplish color, while some are orangish and some are other colors...so I wondered if this is something that could have been used in their system?
It is possible, but without seeing a pic, or seeing them in person, it would be hard to say for sure. I do know that my neighbor grows and digs her glads every year, and there is a slightly different color to the corms for the different colors of the blooms. I think some were kind of pumpkin colored, some tan, and maybe others more white. If the actual flesh of the corm is different colors, then that would be their natural color.

and there are no silly questions.

Sue

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 7:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Glads in my garden, regardless of their first year color, after a few years, almost all are orange with a few white. Al

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™