Cyclamen seed pods wilting

elberethApril 8, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a large cyclamen growing happily on a cold north-facing windowsill. It has set a few seed pods, but most of then begin to wilt and soften at the base of the stem right before the stage where the stem curls up close to the ground. The plant itself isn't rotting - the leaves are perfectly fine, aside from the occasional old yellow leaf. Any one what I'm doing wrong? Too cold? Too warm? Thanks in advance,

elbereth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Don't know that you are doing anything wrong. I have three florist type in pots and only one matures its pods. The hardy one in the ground is especially good at setting pods.

Do you repot them with fresh soil every year? Regular watering & fertilizing so the plant doesn't become stressed is all I can suggest.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 1:11PM
elbereth

I just got the plant this year so I'm assuming the soil is fresh and that it received plenty of fertilizer. I do fertilizer it lightly every other week. Maybe I'm letting it dry a little too much between watering? I'll try keeping it a little more moist and see what happens.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 6:40PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

It is my three year old that sets pods well. Don't know if it's just that plant or the age? And I only allow 4-5 stems to ripen seed.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 12:45AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

What sort of potting mix is it in? I often find a peaty mix to be a harbinger of woe.

And, if you aren't already, water from below and ensure excellent drainage by leaving the pot on pebbles in the drip saucer.

Possibly - further dilute the fertiliser and ensure that it only hits the potting medium rather than being used as a foliar feed.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 6:25AM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™