Bonsia from acorn

Ta1ch1(8a)September 30, 2011

Ok so I just discovered an acorn with a six inch sapling growing from it. It has three fairly large leaves on the top and I would like to use this sapling to produce a reasonable small (2 to 3 feet) bonsai. can someone please give this total beginner an idiots guide as to what to do next.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Sure.
Grow it in-ground for fastest increase in trunk caliper and foliage.
Or, if the ground isn't an option, grow it in a large container.

I have grown oaks from acorns directly in containers, and it is very slow.
I have also collected oaks that sprouted in the ground, and moved them to containers.
To do this, I recommend waiting until the tree is just about to begin growing next Spring.
Mark the location of the sapling, protect it if need be, and return in the Spring.

Where do you live/grow?

Josh

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I hope you have better luck than I have. When you want to kill an oak seedling you can cut the top off like weekly for the rest of your life it seems and it won't give up. But every sprout I've tried to dig and pot has died. Are there other acorns around your yard? I don't see what difference a year or two would make in the overall scheme of a bonsai, you might have better luck sprouting your own acorn in a pot (outside) from the jump start.

I was trying to harvest 4 sprouts to start growing a living chair. This thread inspires me to go grab a few of the 2.9 billion acorns in the yard and stick them in pots before spring. Maybe if I then bury the pots as close to my most thorny roses as possible they'll be fooled into "sprouting in captivity."

Off-topic, but while trying to figure out which kind of oak tree is in my yard, I learned they must be 40-50 years old before they make acorns. And that there are so many different oaks, I no longer have an interest in figuring out which this one is. BUT, it's nice to know there's plenty of time if I get curious again. This tree's probably in the 60-80 year old range, which means it's still a kid.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Will my window provide a sufficient amount of light for a bonsai?
My window faces northeast. So the only time I get direct...
redhotchlypeppr
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
Tips for new owner of an Australian Brush Cherry?
I came across a 18-inch-tall Australian Brush Cherry...
Ohiofem
PLEASE HELP MY BONSAI!
Hi, I've had my bonsai for a year, ligustrum, it was...
nicoleaspen24
Turface in Eugene OR
I have been looking for Turface or Turface like products...
ridgie
Sponsored Products
White Glass Lamps: 9.4 in. White Color Changing Glass Table Lamp with Remote Con
Home Depot
Brindille Suspension
Lightology
Alfresco Home Notre Dame Patio Serving Cart
$621.00 | LuxeDecor
Hand-tufted Transitional Oriental Pattern Ivory Rug (9'6 x 13'6)
Overstock.com
Zaneen | Linea Wall or Ceiling Light- T3
$600.00 | YLighting
TKO Magnets Slimmer Belt Womens - One Size Fits Most - TKO-SB016-BK
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Campaign Outdoor Loveseat Cover - Sand
$269.50 | FRONTGATE
LBL Lighting | Moi 11 Outdoor Wall Light
$420.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™