Bale of straw as filler?

catherinet(5 IN)February 8, 2014

I'm thinking of using a metal or poly stocktank as a veggie container. I don't like the idea of filling it with Styrofoam, to take up space, but was thinking of using a bale of straw. Anyone ever try that?
And also.......have any of you used a stocktank (metal or poly) and only kept the drain plug open for drainage, without drilling other holes in it?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Skip the straw, there will be multiple problems associated with it. Use old buckets turned upside down, empty milk crates overturned and covered with plastic, large plastic pots turned upside down - anything that will take up room w/o rotting.

If you use only the drain hole for your drainage, the tank will need to be off level so water naturally moves toward the drain. You'll need to cover the drain hole with a coarse mesh, like the plastic canvass used for needlepoint projects (hobby shops). Also, I'd dig a small dry well under the drain and fill it with a bag of peastone to help ensure drainage. The one think you don't want to do is start over or give up because your drainage is poor.

Al

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 6:01PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks tapla.........sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.
I have a drainage question, but will start a new post for that.
Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:25AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I forgot to mention that if you use the dry well, make sure there is a wick in place that goes from the bottom of the trough, through the dry well, and contacts the soil under the drywell.

Al

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™