early sprouting bulbs

briand43April 3, 2009

Hey folks, a query for you bulb fans. I have two elephant ear bulbs (one black and one normal green) and a bunch of hardy glad. bulbs. This is the first year of working with bulbs that when I checked on them in March and now in April, they have sprouted like crazy. They are in a cool area without light but both types of bulbs (especially the glads) have sprouts that are already at least 4 inches long and tons of roots. My question is will they be alright? My zone requires me to plant them in May/June at least for the elephant ears. I had a similiar problem with Dahlia's and they didn't grow well that year and the following year they were even worse so I ended up throwing them out. Am I worrying for nothing or should I take steps. I suppose I can plant my elephant ear in a container in the house for now but I have too many Glads to do that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
otnorot(z5ont)

They need to be colder and very dry as it looks like they are picking up moisture from some place. To bad you cant pot them up.
Bill 77years gardening.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 6:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

You could plant all the glads together in 1 large pot to save space for now. Separate and plant outside later,(June) when the soil warms up, ditto for Elephant E's. If planted too soon, when soil is still too cold, they will rot.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™