St Brigid Anemones

lam702April 21, 2012

I went shopping today and saw a sale on summer bulbs. The beautiful photos of the St Brigid anemones were just too much for me, even though I know they aren't winter hardy here in Zone 5 NY I just couldn't resist. Can I plant them outdoors now? I'd like to put them into the garden instead of pots. May 15 is the last frost free date here, but the frost is out of the ground. If I plant them now, would a frost kill them, or would they be OK? I have enough potted plants, I'd like to try these in the garden instead. Also, can I dig them up and store them like glads? Do they die back after blooming? They are so beautiful I just have to give them a try, so any information you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

You should be able to plant them now, they are up to zone 6 hardy. They might overwinter in your zone if you mulch them, maybe plant them closer to your house where they will have more protection. I grow several things that overwinter here unless we have an exceptionally cold year. My zone has been upgraded to a zone 7, but I can overwinter zone 8 plants in certain areas in my garden.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shpnquen(z5, IN)

I planted some last fall and they made it through our zone 5 winter with heavy oak leaf mulching and they came up this year. It was a milder winter, but we did dip down into the 20's a few times over the winter.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™