lots of leftovers

irun5kFebruary 24, 2013

Hi all,

I severely overbought when I got the ingredients to make my 5-1-1 mix for this year :) It is incredible how much of this mix can be made for so little. Especially compared to the cost of pre-made potting mixes.

I would like fix up bags in the 5 gallon/.5 cf range that I could pass out to family/friends to try. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to package it?

I'm having the hardest time finding bags in the 5-gallon size. Ziplock has the big bags now but they are prohibitively expensive for this purpose- e.g. several dollars for a box of 3 bags.

Such bags could also be handy for storing smaller portions of my raw ingredients for various mixes. Appreciate any tips/ideas on where to look.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Have friends save their dog food/bird seed bags (some are HD and very durable) - the 3 gallon or so cat food buckets (cat litter?) are great, too. Make sure you save the bags the bark came in, too.

Al

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 12:31PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Good ideas, Al.

I mix batches for friends and family quite often, and I typically just use garbage bags. If I'm delivering a container, as well, I put the garbage bag with mix inside the container for transport.

Josh

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:08PM
irun5k

Thanks all, reusing bags or containers is a great idea. I also happened to come across these plastic sandbags in Home Depot. I got 50 for around $15 and they are heavy duty and have an adhesive seal. I will have many uses for these, I imagine. They hold around 50 lbs of sand, I've approximated it to be about a 5 gallon bucket's worth of mix.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 9:30PM
zackey(GA 8b)

Around here we can get free 5 gallon buckets with lids at the grocery store bakeries.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:04PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi Brian,

Great idea on those bags... Your mix looks great!

Hope all is well down in Florida!

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 12:47AM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™