early spring bloom timing (Heart's Delight, Avalanche)

tunnymowg(z6b Salt Lake)April 24, 2009

When do Kaufmanniana tulips bloom? Is it with early daffodils, or before that even, with iris reticulata and crocuses? I'm already planning my fall bulb order (of course!), and one of the combinations I'm thinking of is the 'Heart's Delight' Kaufmanniana, 'Avalanche' narcissus and 'Blue Festival' multi-flowering hyacinths. Might these bloom together? I'm really unsure about Avalanche. Some call it early, but others list it as mid-season (and after 'Erlicheer,' which has just now started blooming for me - much later than it did last year).

Dianne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

I have both Kauffmania and Greigii tulips. Both bloom much earlier than regular tulips. Those bloom at the same time as my pink Festival hyacinths, which start blooming more than 2 weeks earlier than regular hyacinths. I donÂt have that kind of daffodil. My Ice Follies daffodils, which I consider to be early, are blooming at the same time as all of the above: just finishing now.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 6:39PM
tunnymowg(z6b Salt Lake)

Thanks, linnea. Do the Kaufmannianas bloom with the Greigii? I have some Greigiis and they don't seem particularly early for me. They've just finished, while my neighbor's multiflowering hyacinths were done a week or two ago. So I'm hoping for the Kaufmanns to bloom just a bit earlier. About 75% of what I can find on 'Avalanche' describes it as early, so I think I'll just go for it.

Dianne

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:49AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I have about 4-5 different Greigiis, one is the very first to bloom (Red Riding Hood) and some are in full swing now.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™